What you need to know:
- L-Theanine is an amino acid and one of the main active ingredients found in green tea and caffeine
- Widely used in treating attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Improves mental performance and your ability to multi-task
L-theanine is an amino acid which is obtained through extraction from camellia sinensis leaves (aka camomille). It is also found in green and black teas. Since its discovery in the 1940’s it has been thoroughly studied on humans and has been found to have brain-boosting, calming and anti-anxiety effects.
How does it work?
L-theanine has been shown to affect your brain in numerous ways, such as amplifying your alpha brain waves which heighten creativity and alertness. By boosting your GABA levels it has also been shown to increase focus, regulate your mood, and has a calming effect.
- Reduces mental fatigue
- Improves cognitive function and learning ability
- Relieves anxiety and stress
- Regulates mood
When and How:
100-200mg, (experiment and see what feels best for you) with a cup of coffee or caffeine in the morning
When combined with caffeine it heightens focus, energy, and improves mental endurance to even higher levels.
What to Avoid:
Medications for high blood pressure (Antihypertensive drugs)