Delete- Biohacking Your Environment
→ Better Breathing: adjust air quality, temperature, and toxin-levels to strengthen your body
→Optimize Your 5 Senses: use sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch to optimize your mid
→ Prioritize Personal Relationships: acknowledging support systems to live a happier and healthier lifestyle
From other articles in our Biohacking series, you have learned exactly how to biohack your internal functions to maximize productivity. However, it is equally important to biohack your external factors to give yourself the best environmental conditions to function at your best. The following are three categories of biohacking your environment to benefit a better body, mind, and lifestyle.
To benefit your body, the three most important factors to biohacking your environment is to control the air quality, temperature, and toxins around you.
- Add house plants throughout the space to increase humidity, as well as turn carbon dioxide into oxygen and release negative ions into the air to better your breathing. Recommended are the following species of plants: golden cane palm, snake plant, and devil’s ivy.
- Add air filters for the following purposes to your building’s structure:
- Keep windows open for natural air flow; but, remember to avoid laying, sitting, or standing in a spot that receives direct drafts to your head.
- Choose eco friendly wall paints and finishing materials like tiles, countertops, carpeting, etc.
- Adjust your radiators or air conditioning to around 65-72 degrees Fahrenheit/ 18-22 degrees Celsius.
- Keep windows open to ventilate the space, making sure not have your head be directly in a draft.
Thirdly, make sure your space is clear of mold toxins. Just like the toxins from the above section on biohacking your mind, mold toxins can be found in your environment as well as food. In addition to lower cognitive performance, these toxins cause harm to your overall health by causing allergies and infections from airborne gasses, chemicals, and other matter as a result of material deconstruction by mold. Go through the following checklist to cleanse your space from these invisible killers:
Prevent indoor mold by controlling moisture (the source of mold growth)
- Patch up any leaks in your roof, walls, and basements.
- Eliminate condensation in your bathrooms by turning on the fan or opening the window or door when showering as well as wiping down shower walls, mirrors, and any other glass in the room afterwards.
- Remove any standing water in drains, floors, or equipment for heaters, coolers, and dehumidifiers as soon as possible.
- Immediately dry any damp carpets or furniture.
- Add mold-inhibiting paints for walls as well as adding mold-inhibiting air conditioners and dehumidifiers during moist weather.
Eliminate existing indoor mold found either by visual inspection or a professional inspector
- For small amounts of mold, carefully scrub away the culture using commercially sold mold and mildew removers or a mixture of one cup bleach and one gallon water. Wear a mask to avoid breathing in the fumes, gloves to avoid irritating your skin, and goggles to avoid chemicals splashing in your eyes.
With your body now receiving the best air, temperature, and mold-free space, it is time to move onto biohacking your environment to maximize the five senses your mind uses to experience the world around you.
- Expose yourself to red light with special light bulbs that are red colored or can change colors.
- Let the sunlight in by opening curtains.
- Throughout your day, expose yourself to blue light. Many LED screens of phones and laptops already emit blue light.
Going to Sleep
- Avoid blue light from the LED screens of your phone or laptop. Either darken your devices by putting black-tinted adhesive tape over the screens or just use them as little as possible.
- Light up your space with dim salt lamps or red hued light bulbs as in the morning.
- Use blackout curtains to make sure no moonlight seeps into your room to disturb your sleep.
Quarantine is testing relationships now more than ever and some couples will come out of this stronger than ever while others will be faced with a truth that was probably already apparent before the lockdown and now is the time where changes will need to be made. The...
WHY NATURAL SLEEP SUPPLEMENTS → Why to avoid traditional sleeping pills → Natural Sleep Remedies: a three-step approach to replacing sleeping pills → Natural sleep remedies vs. traditional sleeping pills Natural remedies help you drill beyond the surface level fix...
→ Better Breathing: adjust air quality, temperature, and toxin-levels to strengthen your body →Optimize Your 5 Senses: use sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch to optimize your mid → Prioritize Personal Relationships: acknowledging support systems to live a...
Subscribe For Updates
Biotize wants to simplify what it means to live a healthy lifestyle and help you easily achieve this through the information we provide